4 Minute Read
Midlife. So when does that kick in?
Well, hold on to your G-string, I’ve been doing a bit of Googling and, cue the DRUUUUUM ROLL…
Actually, can we cancel the drum roll.
You see, it appears that there’s no consensus as to when you hit midlife.
Some experts say 38, others 46 then again, could be 53. If we were being really scientific about it (let’s not be) we’d work out what age we’re likely to die (insurance companies do that all the time – cheerful job eh!) – let’s say that’s 100, then we’d half that to 50, then, assuming midlife lasts about 40 years, we’d subtract 20 years and add on 20 years- so in that case midlife would be from 30 to 70.
But can we just forget the hard sums…it’s much simpler than that.
You see, Midlife is not an age. Nope…
Midlife is an attitude
An exciting one, with tons of possibilities for travel & learning new things & looking & feeling amazing & yoga & cakes & love & romance & families & friends … and well, generally jam-packed with good, fun stuff.
It’s that delicious period of life when you stop focusing too much energy on what other people think of you & taking 127 selfies before lunch and, instead, turn the focus onto yourself.
I’m not saying midlife is without challenges and suddenly, you know the meaning of life, and radiate happiness 24/7. But, hey, it’s a pretty cool period of your life where you tend to know what you like and what you don’t…and you’ll quite happily pass on that, Thank You Very Much.
But here’s the REALLY good news…
There’s no cut-off point when midlife ends
Unlike like car insurance or a packet of Hobnobs – it doesn’t run out. As long as you’ve got the right attitude Midlife can go on until…well basically, you‘re just about to keel over – if that’s the way you choose to play it.
I know some amazing older people who are smack bang in the middle of rockin’ their life – like my 82-year-old friend, Grandma Williams whose lifestyle blog (which includes a post on Sex Toys for your 70s and 80s – Blink. Blink) has given her a new career.
And I reckon we all know a few, how I can I put it,…REALLY BORING 20 & 30-somethings who are quite happy to sit on the sofa, tucking into Chinese take-out and catching up on the soaps, while they wait for their pension to kick in.
Well, I know who I’d rather have a night out with!
So how do you know if you’re rockin’ your midlife?
Here are a few clues – and not one of them involves crunching on a Werther’s Originals…
1. Time becomes as, if not more, important than money
2. You care less about what OTHER PEOPLE think and more about how YOU feel
3. Unlike when you were 17 and thought you knew it all, you actually now DO know it all. Well ok, not it all…but at least how to get a strain out a carpet, make a mean lasagna and phone the AA (the car one or the drink one – take your pick) instead of your dad/wife/boyfriend/husband/BFF – or all of the above
4. You have no interest in which Kardashian is which, but you know there’s a smart business brain behind the whole pantomime …that’ll be Mamma Midlife Kardashian
5. You have a healthy fear of things that used to hold no fear for you…like bungee jumping, or eating mussels in a slightly grubby looking restaurant or hopping onto the back of a motorbike with a guy you don’t know very well, whilst wearing a skirt, but no helmet.
6. You talk a lot about eating better and exercising more..and often, you follow through. Because…you know it’s good for you. Because…looking after yourself is one of the main priorities in your life. And because…well basically because you love yourself.
Don’t miss a trick…you can also find me on…